31 August 2010

General mind dump

  • It bothers me when people don't add target="new" to their links on blogs or whatever; that just strikes me as lazy web design. I don't want my links to open in the same window/tab as the thing I'm trying to read because I'll lose my place. Resident Girl thinks that it's better without target="new" because "you can just press backspace" to get back to where you were, which I disagree with completely. I have made such a habit of opening links with "Open link in new tab..." because I don't even like to tempt fate and find out whether or the current site is a target="new" fan or not.

  • The most common grammatical error I see online is a complete ignorance of the difference between "its" and "it's". Lots of blogs are offenders, but one of the worst also happens to be one of my favorite sites. This is so exceedingly simple and there are so many grammatical mix-ups that are more complicated than this that most people nail. It's = it is. Without going into any sort of lecture about what a contraction or a possessive pronoun is, one can learn the difference that simply. If you could substitute "it is" for the word, use "it's". Otherwise, use "its" (which is the possessive). It's time to put this book back in its place.

    (Note: I would be a horrible example-sentence writer for a textbook, but we used to like coming up with nonsensical word problems. "Jonah has three red marbles, seven blue marbles, and one green marble in his pocket. If Marty rarely bathes, what time will the train reach Poughkeepsie?" Of course, Netflix ripped this off with their "bonus round" radio commercials, which don't seem to live on YouTube.)

  • I am afraid when I write cover letters that, if I punctuate some compound noun or adjective correctly, the person on the other end might not know correct hyphenation rules and mistakenly think that I hyphenated incorrectly. You know, that didn't sound as conceited when I was thinking it.

  • What's Britney doing with her life?

  • So glad I can finally dust off the ol' "hyphens" tag

  • On the front of an old record album I bought, there was a singer listed as "Dick Hyman." This is sort of an old record so it was probably made back when there were actually still people named Dick without a shred of irony, but... come on. You have to laugh at that. My mom did, so I didn't feel as silly or immature.

2 comments:

Katie Lemon said...

With internet-savvy users (especially frequent blog-readers/bloggers), it's assumed that if the user wants to open a window in a new tab, they'll just do the work themselves. Less work for the blogger, but it isn't extra work for the user because, like you, they're used to doing it anyway. Why do the work when you'll do it anyway? Not lazy, just logical.

p.s. note my correct use of "it's"

Benny J said...

I see your point, but I guess at the same time, I'm just in the habit of typing target="new" when I create a link. I guess that's just how you Northerners do it.

I didn't mention the one context where it really makes me upset, and that's on a wiki like Wikipedia or tvtropes where the entire point is to cruise links and you end up getting so sidetracked 10 links deep that you don't remember what you were looking at in the first place... which is probably the point.

Post a Comment