18 May 2011

Some thoughts as I enjoy some late-night extra innings baseball

  • Yankees just took a 3-1 lead in the 15th inning against the Orioles. I just love intense, extra-innings baseball. One of my favorite games ever was a wild one between the Yankees and Red Sox years ago, where Jeter dove into the stands and got hurt, the Yankees had to move their DH into the field and thus lost their DH, the Sox played five guys in the infield... Too crazy. In this game, the Yankees had their last position player leave the game after getting beaned and had to use AJ Burnett to pinch-run. Baseball has its flaws but it's great to watch in person and it's great when you really have to scratch and claw to win a game.
  • I need to start an alphabetized notebook of new Spanish words and phrases I learn, so I can stop looking them up and start memorizing.
  • I need to start another notebook or use my smartphone well so that I can keep track of all these things that I need to do.
  • The article I linked to yesterday said to mix things up, and that's one thing in there I sort of disagreed with. Going to new places and seeing new people is great, no argument there. But there's also something to be said about routines. My band friends and I have established ourselves as regulars at the local watering hole down the street from our rehearsal venue. We're also regulars at our Monday night wings haunt. Like the Cheers theme says, sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name. Get a new beer, order a new dish, invite new friends... but no need to abandon what you like for no reason.
  • Such a tough time of life to be in a relationship, as lots of my friends are learning, myself included. I think it's important to be independent and unattached at such a time when you could (and should) literally go anywhere or do anything at any given time.
  • Interesting, too, how people come and go and come back again with little warning.
That's enough cryptic pondering for one evening. Maybe I'll think of something fun to write about tomorrow. (Ballgame over, Yankees win, by the way.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment